This week, in the Holocaust and Human Behavior class, students watched a movie that would show them how easy it could be to bully others and how the roots of bullying can start. The name of the movie is "Eye of the Storm". In 1968, Jane Elliot, a teacher in Riceville, Iowa, conducted an experiment in her class. The experiment was to show the students how easily they could fall into stereotyping and bullying. On day one, the blue eyed children were "superior" and on day two, the brown eyed children were the "superior" children. What happened in the classroom during that experiment? How did the students react? See what your students thought about the movie. Their comments were insightful and compassionate.
Want to see the movie? Click on this link to watch: Eye of the Storm
I remember watching that movie when I was in religious school and I still think about it in my work with our youngest children. I'm so glad you are using it to provoke thought and discussion with our students.
ReplyDelete