Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pre-School Buddies!!


As some of you know, in addition to teaching 6th grade Judaica, I also teach in the Tel Aviv classroom in the Children's Center! This past Thursday, my sixth grade class walked in and noticed all the pictures of the Tel Aviv class that are on the walls. The immediately ran to them and started commenting on the children and the activities depicted in the photographs. One of them decided to make a card for one of the Tel Aviv students, and so it began. As each 6th grader entered they started to “claim” their new buddy. Later in the class I gave them some time to create a card/picture for their new “buddy.” Cory even wrote, ”I am so excited to be your buddy for the whole school year!”

So it looks like we now have a buddy system and I am ecstatic! On Friday I gave each Tel Aviv student their card and the whole class asked to listen as I read each card out loud. The group was hanging on every word and loved seeing the drawings that the older students made for them. Jacob was happy that Josh drew a train for him. Cory had me take a picture of him sticking out his tongue to match the picture of his buddy, Eli, hanging in the classroom. I love that both groups are so curious about the other and it is a neat opportunity to learn about other students in the Temple Beth Shalom community, and in our very own classroom. Hopefully we can continue this new “pen-pal” relationship and maybe have the opportunity to meet later in the year


2 comments:

  1. I love seeing all of the ways that our teens are creating connections! What a beautiful way to role model for our youngest members what lies ahead for them in their Jewish journeys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the Daddy of one of those pre-school buddies...I love this connection between our age groups!

    ReplyDelete